Tuesday 19 June 2012

F1 So Far



Q1) Throughout the season several drivers have added slight adaptations or had radical design changes to their helmets. Do you think that drivers should stick to one distinctive design, and then just adapt their design slightly for special occasions to keep a consistency, or do you like seeing the constant changes?

A: Couldn't help but giggle at this question when I first read it! The regular Fan Formula crew will know why, especially @AilishCatherine, @squiffany and @PAGIE03. #F1Smut. I'll say no more ;)

But being childish aside, I really don't mind what the drivers do with their helmets. Yes it's a pain trying to figure out who's driving what car when they change their designs constantly, some being worse than others (yes Mr Pointy Finger, I'm looking at you). But a racing driver's helmet is their identity, and a person's identity is ever-evolving, so I've no problem with them doing as they please with them.

This may be a slightly biased view, seeing as I'm entering a certain helmet design competition...


Q2) Which driver has disappointed you through their performance the most this season and why?

A: Jean-Eric Vergne. When you look at his performances compared to Daniel Ricciardo, he really hasn't done that badly (JEV's average finishing position has been 12th, compared to Ricciardo's 11th), but he hasn't been as good as I was expecting him to be. All the pre-season hype, as well as the high expectations of the Red Bull young driver programme, were promising great things from him that haven't materialised yet. It's a shame really, as despite him not looking very good at the moment I think the car is holding both of the Toro Rosso drivers back.


Q3) [as suggested by @F1_Fans_Updates]) We've had seven races and seven different winners, but what was your favourite race win and why?

A: I have two. Sorry for being awkward!


They're both for drivers that got their first wins. Nico Rosberg's victory in China is one of my choices as it was brilliant to see everyone willing him on to win. The outpouring of affection and congratulations for him on Twitter was lovely and I'll remember it for some time.

The other is Pastor Maldonado's win in Spain. Not because I'm a fan of Maldonado, but because it was wonderful to see Williams finally get a win after the torrid time they've endured of late, and it was their first win in eight years! It was long overdue and the best reward for the Williams crew, who will have worked very hard over the winter to deliver what's turned out to be a decent car up to now. It was quite emotional!


BONUS) This weekend saw a break for Formula One but a variety of other motorsport races taking place. Did you watch any of them and if so, which ones and why? If not, why not?

A: I didn't watch the MotoGP race at Silverstone as I'm not really into bikes. Although, kudos has to be given to Cal Crutchlow for racing with a broken AND dislocated ankle, and finishing the race in 6th after starting last. What a man!


My main focus for the weekend was the Le Mans 24 Hours. I wanted to make an effort to watch it despite not knowing the faintest thing about endurance racing, and I'm glad I did as I really enjoyed it, despite being a wooss and going to sleep at 1am. So much so, that a couple of the Fan Formula crew want to go next year! It's only a pipe-dream at the moment, but I've met many great people through Twitter and I'm sure a Fan Formula holiday would provide more of the same, so it'd be a weekend I'd definitely be up for. Just need to get saving the pennies now...


No comments:

Post a Comment